Re: Oracle on Debian potato

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, A. M. Varon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anybody has experiences running Oracle on a potato system?
>
> regards,

I am running 8.0.5 without problems now. However the install was something
to mention.

In the following I assume you have installed oracle on another linux. If
you haven't, then see the document I mention at the end of my letter,
for a step-by-step instruction list. However, you have to compare it with
my letter, since some things need to be done differently in debian. So
read both before starting to install oracle.

In short: you need to debianize a couple of redhat packages with alien.

  alien <redhatpackagefilename>

These packages are:

  compat-binutils-5.2-2.9.1.0.23.1.i386.rpm
  compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1.i386.rpm
  compat-egcs-5.2-1.0.3a.1.i386.rpm
  compat-egcs-c++-5.2-1.0.3a.1.i386.rpm
  compat-libs-5.2-1.i386.rpm

These can be found on RH6.0 and RH 6.1 mirrors in the RPMS directory.

After installing them, you need to chmod +x the following files:

/usr/i386-glibc20-linux/ld-2.0.7.so
.../libc.so
.../libc-2.0.7.so

The first is mandatory, the other two I am not sure, I chmoded them as
well.

You must also link to make as gmake

  ln -s /usr/bin/make /usr/local/bin/gmake

After this, you can install oracle 8.0.5 almost normally, except one
thing:

the oratab.sh in orainst does not run properly on debian. You must change
the references to the GROUPS variable in it to somethin else, since GROUPS
varaible is readonly in bash. I don't know about this in sh. What I did
was to replace GROUPS to GROUPSPROG. take care however not to replace
GROUPS in ALL_GROUPS.

After this install oracle, but don't create the database objects.

Before running root.sh, you need to patch the oracle binaries.

The patch tarball is at

  ftp://ftp.oracle.com/pub/www/otn/linux/glibcpatch.tgz

Extract it to ~oracle/orapatch

cd into ~oracle/orapatch

sh glibcpatch.sh

It will take a little time to complete, there can be error messages along
the way, but they don't matter. They are missing files you did not
install because you not selected everything.

Type sqlplus to check that it worked.
If it segfaults then you have missed  something. If it gives you the
normal sqlplus prompt, then the patching was successful.

After this you can create the DB objects normally (you need to select the
RDBMS Standard item again). You must do this with the Install parts menu
item, since not everything is installed yet, so Create/Upgrade DB objects
won't work yet.

There is a couple of editing and chmod-ing and chown-ing to do...

After this it will work flawlessly.

See more details in http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/rh6x.html

Instead of machinating with .profile files as described in that document,
just put the following in /etc/profile, modified accordingly to your
install decisions, but before installing, to spare yourself some problem:

export ORACLE_OWNER=oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=/store/oracle
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/store/oracle/lib
export ORACLE_BASE=/store/oracle
export ORACLE_SID=ORCL
export ORACLE_TERM=386
export ORACLE_DOC=/store/oracle/doc

and add /store/oracle/bin to the PATH statement.

The oracle TNS listener can only be started as user oracle. If you need it
to start at boot-up, then you need to do some more compiling other
packages (daemontools from Daniel J. Berstein). Send a letter if you are
interested in it.

Robert Varga