dumb question, sorry in advance

I've just finished installing (a few days ago) Linux/Unix and am stuck on
something really dumb.

I have figured out how to change shells, explore the file structure, use
sh (a bit) and several other things, but I just can't seem to launch a
simple game.

/user/games/nameYourGame

... I can't figure out any way to launch this and can't find anything in
the man pages or in the THREE Linux books I have that tells me how to
simply launch a program.

I know I'm going to have to change my name after this, but I give up. How
is it done?

As Yet Undetermined Pseudonym to be Inserted Here