Re: Please tell me this is curable...

im no data recovery expert but chances are good that the files are gone,
tar doesnt have good(if any) file recover capabilities .. gzip does but
recovering data from a gzip file is a long and boring process, usually it
just writes the blocks of data to individual files leaving it up to you to
sort it out..which can be VERY complicated

if the data is _that_ important, and nobody else on the list can help it
may be possible to contact a commercial agency to assist in the recovery
of the data(costs could go into the thousands easy though)

nate