Re: IDE Harddisk problem

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 12:13:48AM +0100, Karl Philipp wrote:
> Hello Debian Users,
>
> I've a computer with a SCSI harddisk and a IDE 10GB Harddisk.
>
> Last Sunday I installed Debian Release 2.1 on my PC.
> The Linux partitions are on the SCSI harddisk.
> The IDE harddisk provides VFAT partitions.
>
> Debian Linux isn't able to find the VFAT partitions of the IDE harddisk.

<snip>

> The BIOS-Configuration of my PhoenixBIOS for the IDE harddisk:
>
>  Type:                      [Auto]
>  Cylinders:                 [16383]
>  Heads:                     [ 16]
>  Sectors/Track (CHS/LBA):   8455/10141 MByte
>
>  Transfer Mode:             [16 Sectors]
>  LBA Translation            [Enabled]
>  LBA Translation Mode       [LBA]
>  PIO Mode                   [PIO 4/DMA 2]
>  32 Bit I/O                 [Enabled]
>
> Who knows a solution for this problem?
>
> greetings
>
>  Karl Philipp

Try 'hdparm /dev/hda' to see what Linux thinks of the device.  It may
give some useful diagnostics.  The worrying this about the log is the
"Can't read partition table" part (I get DMA timeout errors with my
disk, but it works fine).

Also try 'cfdisk /dev/hda2', which is the curses-based disk partition
editor.  If the partition table is truly corrupt, you may be able to
save the disk if you know where the partitions should start and end
by inputting the information and re-writing the partition table to
the disk.

Do the VFAT partitions boot into Windoze OK ?

--
Regards,
Paul