hang at syslogd

The other day my system got inadvertantly reset (happens weekly around
here with all the kids) and when I rebooted the system went through
the normal fsck, deleting inodes etc. but when it got to starting
syslogd (I believe runlevel 2?) it just hung.  Rebooting again (where
it hang) and all went normally. This is reproducable -- that is if
I incorrectly shut down the system apon reboot it always hangs at
updated as of yesterday. Is this a problem with the init scripts?
has anybody else noticed this?

Roy Pluschke <rjplus@sunshine.net>