Re: xconsole "couldn't open console"

Some what recently, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com>
	wrote about xconsole "couldn't open console"

>:) After an apt-get upgrade (using potato) attempts to open xconsole
>:) show the above error.  I can't pinpoint the exact time of the problem
>:) because with Linux I went weeks between boots, and it's started by my
>:) .Xsession.
>:)
>:) I tried looking up the problem in the Debian-User archives, but
>:) unfortunately the search engine on www.debian.org is still broken.
>:)
>:) I've played with permissions on xconsole.real (currently root.root),
>:) but every attempt to start the program still gives the above error.
>:)
>:) Is there a console-mode equivalent of xconsole?
>:)
>:) Thanks in advance for any help.
I think in potato the permisson for /dev/xconsole which is read by xconsole by

xconsole -file /dev/xconsole is root.adm, make sure that you are in adm group.

Chanop

| Chanop Silpa-Anan                       <chanop@faceng.anu.edu.au>          |
| Australian National University                                              |
| got sparetime ?                                                             |
| http://kenji.anu.edu.au/                                                    |
|              Debian GNU/Hurd               GPG                              |