Slink or Potato

Hi,

  I'm a user who are way behind the debian upgrade.  I've
  recently mirror the slink and plan to upgrade from my
  debian 1.3.1 to slink.  However, I've just noticed the potato
  was recently frozen.  I'd like to solicite you all comment
  on whether I should upgrade to slink or potato?

  Secondly, what are the differences between the twos?  Lastly,
  I will rebuild the kernel and I also noticed that there were
  kernel 2.0.xx and 2.2.xx.  Which should I use?

  I have apparently been out of the debian community for quite
  sometime and appreciate all comment.

  Thanks!

---
tcp