Re: dropping libc 2.1 into stable for some development work possible?

Greetings,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 11:34:18AM -0900, Britton wrote:

> Is it possible to get the upstream library, install it in /usr/local, and
> then compile certain packages against it (static or whatever is fine for
> the moment) without disturbing the rest of the system?  Will I see full
> benefits of newer conformance symbols and everything?

I had to do the following:

- upgrade the debian package binary (i.e.libc and libc-dev) to 2.1
  this went smoothly and required only a few upgrades.

- build install the new libc to /usr/local

without upgrading the debian libc packages, my version of gcc (namely a
self-built egcs 1.1.2) would fail to build the libc.

I think you can savely downgrade the debian packages when done to 2.0
again, to have a slink installation and no half-upgraded system.

You then can use your self-comiled libc for developing and such - but
you cannot uninstall debian libc without breaking major dependencies
and having to rebuild large parts of your system manually ;-)

Greetings,
Tilman.

__
this part of the mail is still under construction