Re: copy permissions

On 24/1/2000 zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz wrote:

i have nfs shared a directory on one machine and used "cp -a" to copy the
directory to another machine...(to produce an identicle file server)  What
puzzles me is that although i was logged on as root... i was still unable
to copy some files.. it saying that i was not permitted to copy due to lack
of permissions.   I thought that as root i would be able to copy
everything.  Is there any way around this as it is time consuming to change
the permissions on every file/directory that it has a problem with.

by default NFS exports have the the `root_squash' option set, this means that root on the client is treated as the nobody user, which essentially means that root can only access world readable files.

if all the clients who can mount the share are secure and trusted, add no_root_squash to the export options of /etc/exports on the server. like so:

/home	pluto(no_root_squash)

you can add any other options there too, comma separated.

Ethan