Re: Removing unwanted files at installation time

(this shouldn't really be in debian-user, I'll set the Reply-To
accordingly)

Previously MiniVend wrote:
> 1. Be able to select which processor that system uses, i386, m68, alpha,
> etc from a menu. such that when the selection is made all installed
> software does NOT include references to processors that are not
> necessary. This would eliminate about half of the Kernel stuff that I do
> not need for starters.

Where exactly? An install is always architecture-specific and you won't
see anything about other architectures.

> 2. Be able to select which language a system uses; so that all
> references to other languages are NOT installed from any software
> packages. i.e. I do not need docs in Polish, Chinese,  French, or
> Japanese-- so these are NOT installed.

Very hard to do since they are shipped together for most programs.. The
trivial solution would be to split out all languages into packages but
that would increase the number of packages a lot and actually not help
at all. You could do it by excluding certain parts of the filesystem
hierarchy during installs perhaps, but at the moment the packaging
system doesn't support that. At some point it might, but that might not
be in the near future.

> 3. Be able to convert all of the files that are related to copyright,
> GPL, changes, and possibly others that are mostly duplicated in each
> applcation, to symlinks to cover dependencies, and set them up as a
> single document, that gives credit where it should but eliminates the
> MANY duplicated text files in a typical installation.

There is already no duplication: for common copyrights the copyright
file in a package refers to the complete text in
/usr/share/common-licenses.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |