Re: CD-ROM only plays mono??

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 03:46:03PM -0500, Hwei Sheng TEOH wrote:

> I'm using the cdtool package to play audio CD's from my CD-ROM drive. For some
> reason, playing CD's only outputs MONO sound (ie. only to one of my speakers).
> It's not a problem with my speakers since .mp3 and .wav files plays as stereo
> without any problems.
>
> Is this a software problem or is it a hardware problem? Any suggestions will
> be appreciated. Thanx!! My soundcard is an SB16 and I'm using kernel 2.2.12.

I'd vote for a hardware problem.  Specifically the first thing I would
check is the cable that goes between the CDROM drive and the soundcard.
My guesses are in descending order of probability:
a) One of the leads has broken
b) It's not connected properly
c) One of the connectors (could be either end) is bad

c is the least likely, but I've known it to happen.  Most likely it's
either a or b, in which case it's an easy fix.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"