Re: Time problems AGAIN!

Bart Szyszka [bart@gigabee.com] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this is a glitch with Debian slink or something because this is
> completely insane. While installing Debian, it asks you about your
> hardware clock being set to GMT or local. The question asks if it's
> OK to set the clock to GMT. The last time I did this I picked 'No' for
> absolutely sure and the time between Windows and Debian was
> just right (when I had selected Yes previous times they became 5
> hours apart). Now I used the same Rescue disk and installed the
> same stuff off my harddrive, had picked 'No' for that question *for sure*
> and my time in Windows was offset by 5 hours AGAIN! This is
> completely insane! I am about to shoot myself because this time stuff
> between Debian and Windows and the hardware clock is incredibly
> annoying. I had finally got it to work last time I reinstalled Debian,
> *made sure* I followed the same steps, and here we go again! Please
> tell me there is some very simple thing I can do (and it *better* be
> simple) to do the equivalent of selecting 'No' for that question. *Please*
> or else I might just have to pull that trigger. This is very very very
> frustrating.

Yes, I had the same problem and the same frustration.  I also did not
use the boot disks to upgrade from slink to potato.  I solved it by
modifying the /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh file.  Here's the file with
annotations on what was changed:

#!/bin/sh
# hwclock.sh	Set and adjust the CMOS clock, according to the UTC
#		setting in /etc/default/rcS (see also rcS(5)).
#
# Version:	@(#)hwclock.sh  2.00  14-Dec-1998  miquels@cistron.nl
#

. /etc/default/rcS
[ "$GMT" = "-u" ] && UTC="yes"
case "$UTC" in
       no|"") GMT=""      ;;  <-----------THIS LINE CHANGED
       no|"") GMT="--localtime" ;; <------TO THIS LINE
       yes)   GMT="--utc" ;;
       *)     echo "$0: unknown UTC setting: \"$UTC\"" >&2 ;;
esac

The rest of the file was the same.  So just change the first no| line to
the second, reboot (or rerun the shell script) and your system will be
set back to local time.  How simple this is, is for you to decide.

HTH,
Mike