Re: mail confusion

aphro wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, paul wrote:
>
> paul.w >And telnet to port 25:
> paul.w >
> paul.w >"FUDO2:/home/guest# telnet localhost 25
> paul.w >Trying 127.0.0.1...
> paul.w >Connected to dial.pipex.com.
> paul.w >Escape character is '^]'.
> paul.w >mail... Recipient names must be specified
> paul.w >^]
> paul.w >telnet> q
> paul.w >Connection closed. "
> paul.w >
>
> if your are telnetting to a *sendmail* SMTP server you will see something
> similar to:
>
> Trying 208.222.179.30...
> Connected to mail.firetrail.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 bebo.firetrail.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3 ready at Fri, 21 Jan 2000
> 13:24:42 -0800
> quit
> 221 bebo.firetrail.com closing connection
>
> (i typed the quit to logout)
>
> i dont know what MTA you may be using..i only have experience in sendmail.
>
> i cant imagine any SMTP servers out there that don't show some kind of
> welcome message.
>
> You can test your SMTP server by sending a mail using telnet.  see this
> page for step-by-step instructions:
>
> http://www.daemonnews.org/199905/telnet.html
>
> send a mail to yourself then check to see if it arrived ok.
>
> nate

Can`t pretend to really understand this but here`s a copy of what I`ve tried
and the results:

FUDO2:/home/guest# sendmail -v paul
hello
.
paul... Connecting to local...
paul... Sent

FUDO2:/home/guest# sendmail -v paul.walton@dial.pipex.com
paul.walton@dial.pipex.com... User unknown

FUDO2:/home/guest# telnet smtp.freeisp.co.uk
Trying 216.22.209.82...
Connected to smtp.freeisp.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
Do not attempt to login unless authorized to do so!
Username:
Username:
telnet> q
Connection closed.

FUDO2:/home/guest# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to dial.pipex.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
mail... Recipient names must be specified
^]
telnet> q
Connection closed.

To save confusion the last reference to "dial.pipex.com" is because I put
this in /etc/hosts because I read that putting any domain name that looked
qualified  in there  stopped the $j error message in sendmailconfig - which
it did.
Does this mean that sendmail isn`t listening to port 25? If so where do I
tell it to?

Thanks again.

Paul