Re: IBM PS/1 Consultant problem

I solved this problem by booting of CD. All you need is an old
atapi-cdrom and a MS-DOS boot-disk, which loads the driver. If you have
a distribution which has an loadlin environment on the cd ( debian and
SuSE are the two I found working yet ) you can go to the install
directory and boot it.
On debian it is:

>c:
>cd install
>boot

( I hope this is correct )

Then you can do a normal Installation of Linux without a DOS-Partition ,
but be careful of Diskspace. If you have installed a proper LILO and
need still more diskspace you can replace the atapi-cdrom with a slave
disk and get your packages over network.

Or you do an basic Installation in another machine and simply plug in
the harddisk. ( Which you better don't try with windoze :)

If you want to boot from floppy try the OpenBSD Installation Disks, they
work... ( http://www.openbsd.org ). With an Opne BSD installation you
can do some nice things on this slow machine. But linux is much more
comfortable.

I tried for over one year now on this box. I had at least 20
installations of different OS's and tried several network cards and scsi
adapters.

But now I decided to use this machine only for decoration purposes,
because you should be able to grab a pci-system, say 120mhz pentium for
lau nowadays. Which runs really better..

Good Luck ! And be patient during kernel-compilation :)

Fitsch

P.S.: If you get a method working to boot debian with floppy, I would be
pleased to hear from you, to reactivate this well-designed little box.