Linux and Windows PPP over a Null Modem

I've got two machines and a null modem.  Both are dual bootable with Windows
and Linux.  I can get pppd running when they are both running Linux and I
can get Direct Cable Connection to work when they're both Windows.  What I
can't get (and the only thing I really want) is to get pppd running on the
Linux machine while the other runs Windows.

I do intend to put network cards in these machines some time, but that won't
be too soon (I'm waiting for some hand-me-down cards after my work machines
are upgraded).

rgds-- TA  (tallard@frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.