Re: modversions.h ?

Pollywog <pollywog@shadypond.com> writes:
> On 20-Jan-2000 aphro wrote:
> > if the program you are compiling requires 2.2.x i suggest re linking
> > /usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux (i think thats
> > right) .. rename /usr/include/linux
>
> That is the action I was considering, but I did not think it should be done
> with 2.2.x kernels because the README in the Linux tarball no longer mentions
> it.
>

> > the program is probably looking for something 2.1/2.2/2.3 specific and
> > debian's default headers in /usr/include dont cut it for that(i had the
> > similar problems trying to compile smbmount from samba 3)

In general, it's not a good thing to do because your libc was compiled
against what's in there. However, I have had an occasion where I
moved the existing directories to different names, eg.,

	mv /usr/include/asm /usr/include/asm.orig

created the links to the kernel source tree, eg.,

	ln -s /usr/src/kernel-2.2.14/include/asm-i386 /usr/include/asm

done the compile and copied them back, eg.

	rm /usr/include/asm
	mv /usr/include/asm.orig /usr/include/asm

Of course I don't ever recall having to do this for the kernel
source. I think I even had a 2.2.x kernel running on slink, when I was
running slink, and don't recall doing this. I certainly haven't had to
do it under potato.

Gary