Re: Athlon kernel compilation blues

--- José_Luis_Gómez_Dans <j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:

> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/specs
> gcc version 2.95.2 20000116 (Debian GNU/Linux)
>
> 	Optimization is set to O2. However, I also issue the
> -fno-strict-aliasing option, as recommended by
> /usr/doc/gcc/README.Debian.gz.

This is not needed anymore with 2.95.2

On the contrary, if you want to build apps with strict aliasing, you have to
add -fstrict-aliasing.

> 	I suppose I could try compiling it without optimization. It's
> not a massive piece of kernel anyway :).
>
> 	However, I do get a lot of NULL pointer dereference errors.

I deleted your original post, but do you run /sbin/lilo after you have built
the kernel? What target do you build (zImage, bzImage, ...)?

Michel

=====
"Software is like sex; it's better when it's free"
 -- Linus Torvalds

"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
 -- Windows 95 BSOD