Re: Question: how to use an LDAP backend for logins

> 	Well, I'm not answering your question but asking you: How to use
> an LDAP backend for logins?

I can answer this question, but not super quickly. I am planning on
writing a Debian specific HOWTO with example config files,
explanations, etc. Of course the explanations will require that I go
back and understand what it is I did...

> 	What I have: one server with shadow.
> 	What I want: to put 2 workstations with central authentication
> and exported home directory?

That is exactly the setup I have, except that I only have one
workstation. So, my advice should help a lot. Though after I give you
my config files, etc you should talk to others about real security. My
setup was done for my home network where quick usability is more
important that real security. I suspect your setup may be different.

> 	I have tried (not hardly) nis but I couldn't get it to work.
> Mainly because the howto says you need a static hosts files for name
> resolution and I already have a dns running with dynamic dhcp updates.

I read that to, but I don't have a static hosts file and it still
appears to be working. I don't know why you would need static files,
but my advice would be to try it. I was able to get NIS working in a
little over 2 hours. Again, I can't speak for security.

> 	Is it possible to use LDAP in this situation?

Very possible. Again, I will have a HOWTO in the works within a week
or two. I will send you info as I work on the sections.

> 	Thanks,

You're welcome,
later,
joseph
--
the "LaterDude"
ICQ: 52640402

All opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer unless otherwise noted.