a few problems...

I am installing debian for the first time, and have already installed the base system as well as selected some packages (yet to be installed). I accidentally pushed the reboot button on my computer, and got error messages, although it would still let me in. As I didn't know how to fix it at first, I kept just using it unfixed a few times, having to remount the drive read/write each time, then running dselect to select a few packages. I would then quit dselect, and type: shutdown  now and the computer would reboot. I finally learned how to fix it (fsck /dev/hda2 while in /), and rebooted my computer, but now all commands are useless. When I type mount -n -o remount,rw / (in /) it says that the command can only be used in the root directory. I also tried it in /root, /home, but kept getting the same message. I also tried typing shutdown now (in /)and it did not recognize the command. Please help! Also, I was wondering how I can configure it so that I don't have to remount the drive every time.