Re: New HP Printers...?

> > I wrote:
> >
> > > The 710C is a Windows printer.  Someone hacked together a driver that
> > > works very well for black and white for the 710, 720, 820 and 1000
>
> Hi,
>
> I have an HP820Cse on one computer, and it's a Windows only printer as
> described above.  I use a pbm2ppa driver, but if you print 2 pages from
> netscape it takes 90% of the cpu for about 2 minutes.  In other words
> it's a real performace pig (it's a pig in windows too).  In all fairness
> it does a really nice job, but I wouldn't buy one today.

This surprises me somewhat.  I found that black and white printing from
linux with pbm2ppa on a 710 is really fast.  I have a PII 266MHz/64MB
system, and mostly print TeX output from linux.  Do you have a much
slower processor, or is it netscape performance that slows it down?

The color version I recently tried seemed to be working, although I have
to look into gamma settings and getting it to eject pages properly.
This is really slow, as it is in Windows.

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology