vt220 or higher and 8 bit terminal with latin-1

I have problems with this: Conex7.5 on the DOS-side of the null-modem cabel
and getty 38400 vt220 in /etc/inittab

The problem is that ascii characters in the 160-255 range is displayed
alright, but I can't type them from the terminal(emulator). I don't think
conex is the problem, but everything worked alright when I used Telix3.5 and
8 bit vt102 emulation. (I thought 8-bit emulation was implemented firstly
with the vt220, but debian did 8 bit with vt102, conex only does 8-bit emulation in vt220 and higher). I'd
rather not use Telix as it is very slow on my XT-laptop.

Anyone got vt220 or higher working with 8-bit terminals? How do I set it up?

Hans Ekbrand