gpm repeating Intellimouse protocol?

Has anyone gotten gpm to repeat in Intellimouse protocol for X? I'm trying
to get my wheel mouse (logitech forst mouse+ serial) to work with wheel
events alongside my USB generic 3-button.

According to
<http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/wwwboard/messages/93.html>
Zephaniah E. Hull (GPM's maintainer) says that the gpm in Potato (which my
machine is running) will repeat into ms3 protocol. Unfortunately, when I
set up X to use protocol IntelliMouse with device /dev/gpmdata I get the
classic `pointer stays in top left corner and acts jumpy' behaviour. X
works with MouseSystems protocol even when gpm is (supposedly) repeating
in ms3 protocol. (gpm -t ms3 -R ms3). gpm repeating in raw mode didn't
seem to work with ANY X mouse protocol I tried.

Looks like a bug somewhere, but is it that potato's gpm is supposed to
repeat intellimouse but doesn't, or is it a bug in my setup? >