Re: NEW x problem :/

On Jan 18, 2000, claviola@rj.sol.com.br wrote:
> I think I discovered my problem, but another came up. Here it is: I was
tweaking some of /etc/X11/XF86Config, where it configures the mouse.
I modified /dev/mouse to /dev/ttyS3 (where my mouse is). X failed. Tried
to use /dev/gpmdata (while running gpm -R), and the mouse was moving like
a crazy coachroach in x. Now that I switched back to /dev/mouse, and
_still_ running gpm -R, here is the error X displays (when I crash it
with control alt backspace, since I am mouseless):

> /home/cyberdemo/.xinitrc: line 3:   291 Broken pipe             blackbox
> xinit:  connection to X server lost.
>

> waiting for X server to shut down
> Fatal server error:
> Unable to set status of mouse fd (Interrupted system call)
>
> If I just kill gpm, I can start x normally, and even switch to the console
>and back again to x (that was my original problem). Anyone with the same
>problem/suggestions/hints/prayers to keep gpm and x running at the same
>time? I'd appreciate your help.

I just setup X for the first time a couple of weeks ago and had the
same problem with a PS2 mouse.  I boot directly to X with four open
consoles and the mouse works everywhere I if start gpm after X is
loaded.  Basically I just disabled gpm on startup and run it at the end
of /root/.profile.  I don't know why this works or if it would work on
your system, but it works for me.

   Larry