using openssh on slink (slightly o-t)

I just grabbed the OpenSSH 1.2.1pre27 sources from the openssh web site.
I already had a working installation of OpenSSL (also built from source).
For the most part OpenSSH works fine, but I have 3 problems with it -- one
of which may be a bug in the Makefile/configure script, but anyway....
Really I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen these problems.  I'd
write to the OpenSSH list if it existed, but the only ones I see are for
developers and for "bug reports" and I'm not sure I'm ready to file a "bug
report" just yet.

Anyway, here they are:

1) When I send the process a HUP signal, it is unable to restart.  I see
this message in /var/log/auth.log:

sshd[21839]: Received SIGHUP; restarting.
sshd[21839]: RESTART FAILED: av0='sshd', error: No such file or directory.

Normally I would think that it was just a problem with the daemon's PATH
env variable, but even if I use "env" to run it with a path which includes
the binary's dir, I get the same error.

Ex: # env PATH=/usr/local/openssh/bin:/usr/local/openssh/sbin:$PATH
/usr/local/openssh/sbin/sshd

I have looked at the daemon's output under strace and with debug (-d) mode
enabeled but I don't see what file it can't find.

2) Though I set the pidfile dir to /usr/local/var/run, it still puts it in
/var/run.  Here was my "configure" line:

configure --prefix=/usr/local/openssh --enable-gnome-askpass --with-tcp-
wrappers --with-md5-passwords --with-pid-dir=/usr/local/var/run

Is this a bug?

3) Lastly, when I enable "UseLogin" in the sshd_config, the daemon boots
me out when I try to log in.  Here is what I see in auth.log:

sshd[22097]: debug: Allocating pty.
sshd[22097]: debug: Forking shell.
sshd[22097]: debug: Entering interactive session.
sshd[22101]: debug: Setting controlling tty using TIOCSCTTY.
sshd[22097]: debug: Received SIGCHLD.
sshd[22097]: debug: End of interactive session; stdin 0, stdout (read 125,
sent 125), stderr 0 bytes.
sshd[22097]: debug: Command exited with status 1.
sshd[22097]: debug: Received exit confirmation.
sshd[22097]: Closing connection to 127.0.0.1

And in sshd's debug output:

debug: Attempting authentication for <user>.
Accepted password for <user> from 127.0.0.1 port 3695
debug: Allocating pty.
debug: Forking shell.
debug: Entering interactive session.
debug: Setting controlling tty using TIOCSCTTY.
debug: Received SIGCHLD.
debug: End of interactive session; stdin 0, stdout (read 125, sent 125),
stderr 0 bytes.
debug: Command exited with status 1.
debug: Received exit confirmation.
Closing connection to 127.0.0.1

While the client sees the following:

Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.
Environment:
  SSH_CLIENT=127.0.0.1 3695 2519
  SSH_TTY=/dev/ttypf
  TERM=xterm-debian
login: No such file or directory
Connection to localhost closed.

I can log in with no problem if I don't enable the "UseLogin" option.
Shouldn't sshd be able to find /bin/login if it's in its PATH?

Thanks for any help.