Re: ppp/chat: BLACKLISTED after (many) tries

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, joost witteveen wrote:

> After several (about 10) unsucessful tries (engaged), chat consistantly
> refuses to rediail my ISP. In syslog, I get:

I may be wrong, but to me it looks like your modem refuses to redial your
ISP, not chat. It's probably because of your country's public switched
network regulations (i.e.: the phone company) imposes some restrains on what
you can do when trying to dial somewhere. Or your modem think so, at least.

I know Germany used to have limits of this sort, maybe it still has. I am
not sure about .nl.

> Does anyone know how to make chat stop thinking that provider
> is BLAKCLISTED? Yes, I should get a real ISP, but that's not

Some modems can be configured to believe they're in the wrong country and
ignore the blacklisting thing. However, you'll be going against the law if
you do that. And you have to make sure you're using the correct settings for
your phone system anyway, and misconfiguring the modem _might_ cause those
to be incorrect.

I suggest a heavy net search or asking the tech support of your modem's
manufacturer.

> (Another silly thing is that, once any phone number is blacklisted,
> every phone number after that is blakclisted too. So, to change
> ISP, I actually have to reboot!)

THIS is strange. Are you sure it is not something like a timeout? Have you
ever tried not dialing _anywhere_ for, say, 5 minutes, then trying again?

  Henrique Holschuh