pcchips 748lmrt

Hello, I recently purchased a home computer with a pcchips XCell2000
748lmrt mainboard with a celeron and 64M ram. I installed both debian
and red hat linuxes but have the problem that they both see 0Mb in
ram. Apparently, the card shares ram memory for video memory which is
announced can be up to 8Mb. The bios lets me assign 0 or 64k of memory
to a portion which corresponds to the video address. With the 64k
setting I could run X with one of the 320x200 modes, with 0
none. SuperProbe does not find any memory, just reports a Tseng
chipset. The questions are: with the newer kernels (>2.0.36) can the
video ram be recognized? Can I assign this memory somehow? I tried to
boot with the mem= argument to specify less memory but the system just
sees less memory, and 0 for video. Should i try to boot into dos
(windows), let those drivers configure the memory and then do a warm
boot with (i think) loadlinux?  Thanks in advance for any pointers,
Gabriel Cruz G.R.