Re: Cannot mount cdrom in new potato install

On 18/1/2000 Irving Frederick wrote:

I just installed a base potato system using the
current disk downloads
from the Debian FTP site. All went well until I
tried to mount my cdrom
drive. I was given an error message to the effect
that the cdrom device
does not exist. I then went to my /dev directory
and discovered that
there was no /dev/cdrom . . . .hmmm. I tried to
run MAKEDEV but
unfortunately was not clever enough to get it to
do anything. Can anyone
tell me how to fix this problem so that I can access
my cdrom drive and
install X windows and some other good stuff from
my slink cdrom (until I
can get a potato cdrom). Thanks in advance.

/dev/cdrom is just a symlink

to create

cd /dev ; ln -s <cddev> cdrom

so in reality if your cdrom is on /dev/hdc (master of secondary IDE) do

cd /dev ; ln -s hdc cdrom

Ethan