New HP Printers...?

Hello,

I am looking at buying a new printer, and had my eyes on a HP DeskJet
710C, which I would definitely have bought if I only ran Windows. However,
I wish to use this printer on a machine that runs potato exclusively. I
had a look at the options of magicfilterconfig, and the only hp or deskjet
options seem to be "deskjet, dj500, dj500c, dj550c". Do I just use one of
these? I was sure debian would support the newer printers.

A comparison of the /etc/magicfilter/dj* filters (3 of them, I've got
version 1.2-36 installed, I don't think there is a later one, but it has
been a couple of days since my last apt-get update) shows that the only
difference is the parameters passed to gs.

gs --help outputs 4 lines containing "dj", in those four lines, the
following seem possibilities:

 djet500 cdeskjet cdjcolor cdj550 cdj500 djet500c hpdj cdj670 cdj850
 cdj890 cdj1600

I suppose I could experiment with the cdj670 and cdj850 drivers, but I do
not wish to spend money on a printer I cannot be sure about. What would
you advise? What makes a good Linux printer, that isn't too expensive
(similar in price and/or specs to the HP dj710c)? Is creating my own new
magicfilter filter based on one of the others the best bet, followed by
pointing the if= parameter in /etc/printcap to that filter?

The differences between the dj500c and dj550c magicfilters are greater
than that between dj500 and dj500c (which has hardly a difference at all).

Parameters to gs: In dj500c the driver is selected with -sDEVICE=cdj500,
whereas in dj550c there is no -sDEVICE parameter, it has "@cdj550.upp".
Any ideas why, or what the @ means? The dj550c filter also does not have
a -r parameter, is the default for gs 600, or is the default built into
the "cdj550.upp" driver, maybe?

Last but not least I noticed that the 500 filter makes use of djscript,
but the 550 filter does not. I'd think it would be a good idea to make the
550 filter also make use of djscript, should I file a Severity:wishlist
bug report? (BTW, I use a 560c at home, using the 550 filter.)

Thanks in advance,
Hugo van der Merwe

ps. I would appreciate it if you could CC replies to me
(hugo@mailroom.com), as I usually read the list through deja.com, but not
very often. (Hmm, I hope I'm not asking a question that was answered
yesterday, I suppose the right thing for me to do would be to do a search
in deja.com, but I'm offline now...) Are there any other ways to read/post
to this list except deja.com and the mailing list (possibly digest to cut
down on the incredible number of emails)? I'll have a look at the archives
on the Debian website when I get the chance.