exponential dial PPP

Hello

I have a permanent PPP link, that has been suffering from problems
lately - it constantly redials, connects, and disconnects with an
error.

This is costing me a lot in useless phone calls :-(

Is there any way I can set the modem to wait x seconds before
redialing, where x increase by an exponential amount each time?

How can I do this? slink solution prefered, but will listen to
any suggestions given.

I thought I once saw a Debian package that does this, but can't find
it anymore :-(.

Thanks in advance.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>