Re: Emacs not aware of Japanese fonts?

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 11:31:58AM +0100, Roland Mas wrote:

> I've been trying to type Japanese in Emacs, apparently in vain.
>
>   Except that I can't see any Japanese character on my screen.  Nice
> little boxes instead, all looking the same, none looking as a Japanese
> character.  So I guess it's a font problem.  I have installed
> virtually all the font packages I found, apparently without any
> effect.  Could this be something I missed with Emacs configuration?
> The /usr/share/emacs/20.5/etc/PROBLEMS file says :

On Slink, I can view the Japanese characters in Emacs first by installing
the package "intlfonts-japanese" and then start Emacs with the parameter
"-fn fontset-standard". Then inside Emacs, M-x set-language-environment,
Japanese. That way you should be able to see the Japanese characters.

I have just done the upgrade to Patoto recently, but the above font package
is not removed during the upgrade, but I can still view Japanese characters
inside Emacs. Take a look at the new packages with dselect, it seemed the
font package has got a new name. It's "xfonts-intl-japanese". Take a look
at it.

HTH

Samuel