exim and /etc/hosts

I've got this machine set up to have my mail/diald server handle all mail for
local users.  Getting this set up required some heavy digging through
documentation because the eximconfig 'satellite' setup uses bydns in the
smarthost route_list and my server's not listed in DNS.  Bad assumption on
the config script's part and bad documentation in the generated config script
for not mentioning this assumption or what to do if it's wrong...

Anyhow, I was able to find bydns in the documentation along with the list of
options that can be used in its place, and changed the bydns to byname.  I am
now able to send mail.

However, byname still does a DNS check instead of just finding the hostname
in /etc/hosts and going with that.  (Yes, it appears that I've got my system
configured correctly to use /etc/hosts - ping, ftp, telnet, ssh, and
everything else I've tried will go from one machine on my network to another
whithout trying to contact DNS.  Only exim refuses to cooperate.)  Can exim
be told to look in /etc/hosts and skip the DNS lookup?  If so, how?

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+