Installation showstopper

Hello,

I have a problem with FTP-based installation of Debian Linux for which I
could find no information on debian.org or in the howto's.  I have:

architecture:  i386
model:         Dell Dimension XPS266, PII
memory:        192Mb
scsi:          none
cd-rom:        Toshiba, ATAPI
network card:  none
pcmcia:        none

I downloaded version 2.1r4 files from:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/

I made a rescue disk, a drivers disk, and the 7 base14-*.bin disks.  I am
able to boot from the rescue disk, and the other disks appear intact as
well.  I also have all the .bin files on a FAT16 partition, along with
base2_1.tgz (downloaded ultiple times from disparate sources in an
attempt to solve my problem). I'm running WinNT with 2 IDE hard drives:

Drive 1:  3 partitions, 1 primary and 2 logical, all FAT 16, 4Gb total
Drive 2:  3 primary partitions, FAT16, Linux, NTFS, in that order, 8Gb total

The .bin files are on the 1st logical partition of the first disk, if that
matters.  I want to keep WinNT on the machine, but add linux to the 2Gb
partition on my second disk drive.

PROBLEM:  I can boot to dos, run install.bat from the logical partition,
and made it up to the "Install Base System" item.  It can find and start
unpacking the base2_1.tgz file, but crashes mid-way through unpacking with
"File error!!  There was a problem extracting the Base System from
/instmnt/debian/base2_1.tgz" and halts, only allowing me to try that
option again I re-downloaded the file multiple times, to no avail.  WinZip
is able to uncompress and untar the file with no trouble (100+Mb free on
the FAT16 partition, 2Gb on the linux partition). That's when I made the
base14-*.bin floppies, and tried installing from floppy rather than from a
DOS partition.  Again, I got up to the "Install Base System" item, loaded
in all 7 disks (apparently without trouble), and then it crashed with a
similar error after the 7th disk had finished loading.  I could find no
other menu items (from the install.bat program) that would help.  Browsing
the linux partition with the help of a shell, I found /usr, /bin, /sbin,
/dev, and more.  But, I'm assuming I'm not done installing, seeing as the
process crashed.

Any help, pointers to relevant doc, or suggestions are welcome.

Gary