Can't find /dev/dsp

Hi all!
I've been trying to get my SB Live soundcard working, and after
installing a precompiled kernel (2.2.13) and dowloading and compiling
the emu10k1 driver code from creative I am at last able to play a cd
on my computer. However, when I run mpg123 it complains about not
being able to open /dev/dsp. This seems pretty reasonable, since even
I can't find a /dev/dsp (or /dev/audio for that matter).
So, how do I get these devices installed? Is there any way of doing it
without compiling the kernel (I tried that late last night, but the
computer hung while booting, I think it's a ecgs 2.95 matter)?

Thanks,
--Fredrik