Re: Package dependency issues

Well, you can manually create an entry in the dpkg DB
(/var/lib/dpkg/status) with your favorite text editor.  If the line
"Provides: mail-transport-agent" is in the entry then dpkg will stop
complaining.  You will also need to put a <package-name>.list file in
/var/lib/dpkg/info.

IMPORTANT
NOTE: dpkg will think that you have a proper package installed, but
unless the .list file contains all the files in qmail, and you have also
created the relevent .{pre,post}{inst,rm} files to do whatever needs to
be done when installing and removing qmail...
dpkg will _not_ be able to actually manage the qmail `package'.

Clearly, doing this kind of thing can lead to a very confused package
management system - which is probably why no developer has jumped in
to tell you how to solve your problem.

- Bruce