Re: Debian boot issue.

> I try to install slink (debian 2.1), booting from the cd-rom 1, and I
> have no
> problem until:

> (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-2940A Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 17/0
> (scsi0) Warning - detected auto-termination
> (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded
>
> ----- After the 'Download sequencer code...' message the boot is
> completely stuck.
>
> Any idea ?

I had the same problem with an Adaptex 2910C.  I think your problem is
a kernel issue -- the 2.0.36 kernel that is loaded from the Debian CD
doesn't support the newer Adaptec cards.  This is why it worked when you
used a different distro (probably using a newer kernel).

What I did was download the boot floppies from potato (unstable Debian)
and used those.  I had only one problem with this: after the base system
was installed, the script to start dselect (where it lets you pick the
type of install) crashed.  I just started dselect from another console
and continued the install using the apt-get method.

Potato seems very stable to me, but you'd need to install it from the
network because there aren't CD's for it (as far as I know).

Another alternative would be to remove the SCSI card, install Debian
2.1, download and compile a 2.2.x kernel (with the correct Adaptec
driver built in), then install the SCSI card and devices.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc