help -- UDMA install....

I'm currently trying to help a friend install Linux onto his
system.  However, we are running into some massive problems.  Whenever it
gets to the point where it is checking the disk for errors, or formatting
the disk (basically any large amount of disk access), the system will lock
up completely.  One of his drives is a UDMA with on-motherboard support
for this (there are a total of 3 hard drives and 1 CD-ROM on the IDE), the
drive is a Maxtor 6 GB (I don't recall the model number).

We tried a number of different distributions (Debian 2.1, Redhat 6.1,
Mandrake), but all do the same thing.  Does anyone have any ideas as to
what could be up (I checked the UDMA HOWTO, which didn't help, and also
tried playing with drive settings (LBA vs. Large) also to no avail).  Any
help is appreciated....

marc

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
 and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot
 of courage -- to move in the opposite direction"
					-Albert Einstien

"If we ban whatever offends any group in our diverse society
 we will soon have no art, no culture, no humour, no satire."
					-Erica Jong

chap0084@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Marc.D.Chapman-1@maroon.tc.umn.edu
lucretius@usa.net