fetchmail not working

Recently I can no longer download my email with fetchmail.  When I run
"fetchmail -v" I get the following:

fetchmail: 5.2.3 querying ews.uiuc.edu (protocol IMAP) at Fri, 14 Jan \
        2000 11:07:01 -0600 (CST)
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from ews.uiuc.edu
fetchmail: Query status=2
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2

And here is my ~/.fetchmailrc

poll ews.uiuc.edu
proto IMAP
user <my username>
pass <my password>
fetchall
flush

And this has worked perfectly for months, i.e. I haven't changed
anything and it's suddently broken.

It almost looks to me as if it's an error on the machine where I
download my email just because fetchmail doesn't get very far, but
that's only a guess.

Any ideas?

MG

--