weird characters

this is something that's been bugging me for a long time so i hope someone
can help me out. today i did a $ tail /var/yp/bobturf/passwd.byname
and afterwards all the characters on the screen became unreadable like it
had changed to some other kinda term type or something. this happens
a fair bit when i try to view certain types of files in certain ways.
it doesn't seem to be just my computer either: i've experienced it many times
on various debian machines i've installed. it's particularly annoying because
after this happens the virtual terminal is unuseable until a reboot. commands
still execute correctly, it's just unreadable. is there any way to get around
this when it happens and what is the reason it happens anyway?

from

da Bobstopper