Re: Booting Linux and Win 98

Cameron Matheson wrote:

> Hey,
>
> My dad got me a job at his work (I just need to install linux and win 98 on
> the same hard drive).  I've done this on my computer, but I have to use a
> boot floppy to get into linux.  My dad's company wants it so that you can
> choose which  OS to start from a menu.  Is their a way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cameron Matheson

Sure. Install LILO in the MBR of the hard drive. ( Choose this option
during installation of Debian) Install W98 first.

Peruse :  http://www.control-escape.com/lilo-cfg.html

You may use the following in /etc/lilo.conf :

               boot=/dev/hdx
               map=/boot/map
               install=/boot/boot.b
               prompt
               timeout=50
               image=/vmlinuz
                       label=debian
                       root=/dev/hdax
                       read-only
               other=/dev/hdax
                       label=W98

Change "x" to match your setup. Run /sbin/lilo after editng
/etc/lilo.conf.

Cheers,

--

Howard Mann                   Online Troubleshooting Resources: HOWTO
http://www.newbielinux.com    http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/t1.html