Weird ash/sash behavior

I've been experimenting using /bin/ash as /bin/sh recently. No big
problem so far. However, a couple of debian/rules failed to
build. Further examination shows that:

	#!/bin/ash                          (1)
and
	#! /bin/ash                         (2)

behave differently. Note that there is space between #! and /bin/ash
in (2).

Example:

-------------------------
#!/bin/ash
mkdir -p test/{usr,lib}
-------------------------
produces one directory under test: test/{usr,bin}

while
#! /bin/ash
mkdir -p test/{usr,lib}
produces two: test/usr and test/bin, which is probably what we want.

Note that /bin/sash also has the same problem, while /bin/bash,
/bin/tcsh, and /usr/bin/ksh do not.

Any comment?

--
H Huang