ncurses upgrade to 5.0 left a dangling package behind

Under potato, after dselect upgraded ncurses to 5.0-X, one of the
older ncurses packages was left behind (ncurses-base 4.2). It now
shows as obsolete, but I'm a bit uncertain as to whether I should just
go ahead and remove it by brutal force. Can something break if I do
so?

,----[ Dselect buffer ]
|    ------ Obsolete/local Required packages in section base ------
| *** Req base     ncurses-base 4.2-3.4     <none>
`----

If I try to purge it, I get a very scary warning:

,----[ Scary warning ]
| The following packages will be REMOVED:
|   ncurses-base*
| WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
| This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
|   ncurses-base
| 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
| Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 76.8kB will be freed.
| You are about to do something potentially harmful
| To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, I understand this may be bad'
|  ?]
`----

Thanks for any input!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who