Re: Further LILO woes

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Jan, 2000 à 05:32:46PM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> I'm still having a helluva time trying to make Lilo boot potato off
> /dev/hdc1 (second HD). Nothing seems to work.
>
> I have just tried (as Howard Mann suggested) booting potato's kernel
> with my slink's lilo (which is installed in /dev/hda4 and works
> perfectly for booting from there). What I did was the following:
>
> 1. Booted in slink (with root at /dev/hda4)
> 2. Mounted my potato's root partition /dev/hdc1 on /mnt/potatoroot.
> 3. Modified slink's lilo.conf to look thusly:

Let try to modify your lilo.conf as such :

> ,----[ lilo.conf ]
> | boot=/dev/hda4
#root=/dev/hda4
> | install=/boot/boot.b
> | map=/boot/map
> | delay=200
linear

> | image = /zImage
      root=/dev/hda4
> |   label = slink
> |   read-only
> |
> | image = /vmlinuz
      root=/dev/hda4
> |   label = old
> |   read-only
> |
> | image = /mnt/potatoroot/zImage
> |   label = potato
> |   root = /dev/hdc1
> |   read-only
> `----
> 4. Run "lilo". Its output looked totally normal (added slink, old,
>    potato).
> 5. Rebooted, and chose "potato" when "LILO boot:" prompt came up. Then
>    I saw "Loading poato" message, and that's it (not a single dot).

Could you ensure that your bios and your kernel agree on the hdc geometry ?
Normally linear should cope with this problem but you have sometime to give
the right disk geometry to lilo (as seen by the bios as lilo relies on the
bios to load the kernel in RAM...).
Having the result of 'fdisk -l /dev/hdc' and the bios parameters of this
drive would probably let you get a definitive answer. Knowing which version
of lilo do you use would be useful too.
Have you made a try with bzImage instead of zImage ? What happens if you copy
/mnt/potatoroot/zImage to /boot/potato-zImage (of your slink) and add :
image = /boot/potato-zImage
      label = potato2
      root = /dev/hdc1
      read-only

> Now I'm going to investigate installing lilo on a floppy (to boot
> kernel off /dev/hdc1). Right now I have to boot from a floppy that has
> kernel on it, ant it takes *ages*. So, if booting from floppy doesn't

What type of floppy ? Made with lilo (in this case add compact to lilo.conf),
with syslinux (in this case avoid the "safe" option) or directly by "dd"-ing
the kernel to /dev/fd0 ?

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\