Re: my font suddently become very ugly

Howard Mann wrote:

> Shao Zhang wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >         A couple days ago, my font is just suddently become very ugly.
> >         I orginially thought it was the fvwm problem, then I found that
> >         all other window's manager have the same problem.
> >

> I suggest you use True Type fonts utilizing the " xfstt" font server.
>
> Install the .deb package and read /usr/doc/xfstt.

I'm using xfs-xtt (I also have xfstt installed on my system but I'm not
going to go out searching for fonts just to get my system to look
reasonable) and I encountered the same problem. I'm pretty certain the
problem started between friday and monday's potato - I did an upgrade on
friday and all was well when I logged in on monday, but then I upgraded
on monday and when I logged in today everything was ugly.

<rant target="person who suggested that installing xfstt was a solution
to this">
Truetype fonts aren't the solution unless they're going to come packaged
with debian by default. And even then there's no reason to gratuitously
break something that worked fine before.</rant>

FWIW, I've tried reinstalling/uninstalling all of xfs, xfs-xtt, and
xfstt, reinstalling, and nothing changes. Today's upgrade didn't help
either, despite the fact that there was a new xfs-xtt. The fonts that
have spontaneously changed include the fonts in my GTK/gnome theme (this
turned ugly but it's still readable, besides I can change this in the
control panel if necessary), my netscape menu font (this actually
started looking *better*) and the font in which my mail headers are
displayed in netscape mail, which is now almost unreadable and doesn't
change to bold to indicate new messages... not only that, but as far as
I can tell there is no place to change that font.

If anyone knows what happened or how to fix this, I would much
appreciate knowing!

Thank you,
Stuart.