Re: libc.so.4

> I recently came across a program (for which I have not found the source
> code, though it may be available) which seems to depend on libc4 (it
> gives the error message 'file libc.so.4 not found' or similar). There is
> no Debian package for slink containing this library, as there is for
> libc5. Does this mean I cannot use this program? Where would I be able
> to find libc.so.4? Would it hurt just putting it in /lib/?

It is no longer supported in slink.  I still have it on my system, I
think there used to be a package in hamm.  It will not hurt if you put
libc.so.4 in /lib, but if you cannot find a debian package for it, it is
a better idea to put it in /usr/local/lib.  I think you will need to
have support for the `aout' executable format compiled into the kernel
as well.  I would suggest the following:

1) Try to find a recent version of the program (what is it, by the
way?).

2) Try to locate a hamm libc4 package.

3) Try to locate a libc.so.4 library elsewhere.

Options 2) and 3) require aout support in the kernel, and option 3)
requires that you manually run `ldconfig' after putting the library in
/usr/local/lib.

HTH,
Eric

--