Re: /etc/limits

On 10/1/2000 Jim B wrote:

Then (in /etc/limits) I set "no limits" on my own accounts:

<user> -

I would actually want to keep at least some of the limits on my own account as well, just to prevent a runaway process from causing problems, that is why i am interested in limits so reasonable no one would likely ever notice. (while still protecting against system from becoming crippled)

Also: I still don't know of any way to set the Virtual Mem usage of a
shell without using ulimit (bash) or limit (csh)!  Note that it does not
appear to be an option in /etc/limits or in pam's limits.conf.  Anyone
know how to do it?  There must be a way.

ulimit does not really protect at all against someone malicious since they are perfectly free to un-ulimit themselves, this is where pam_limits is helpful, it enforces the hard limit and it cannot be ulimited past that.

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/