Re: can't boot after apt-get dist-upgrade

"Russell D. Cook" wrote:

> I'm running a Potato system at home.  This weekend I inadvertently ran
> apt-get dist-upgrade instead of apt-get dselect-upgrade.
>
> After the upgrade, I can't boot.  I get "LIL-" and the system locks.
> Can someone tell me what LIL- means, if anything, and whether anyone
> else has had this problem recently?  I check the Dec and Jan mail list
> archives, and couldn't find the same problem.
>
> More importantly, is there a fix aside from reinstalling?  I'd be happy to
> provide more info if requested.  If replying by mail instead of the
> mail list, please reply to russcook@flash.net.
Probably need to reboot from a floppy and run lilo. This is a fairly
common situation when upgrading and changing a lot of settings,
including a new lilo installation which is the likely origin of the
problem.
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173