Re: memories

*- On 10 Jan, mcclosk@ling.ucsc.edu wrote about "memories"

> I have a Debian box which has been rock-solid in the three years I've
> been using it. Currently it's slink with the 2.0.38 kernel
> (custom-compiled) and just a few extras in /usr/local. No other OS.
>
> Until recently it had just 32MB of RAM. I added 64 more on
> Saturday. Everything seemed fine to begin with---the 96MB was detected
> in BIOS and by the kernel; I had much less disk-thrashing in long
> Netscape sessions and so on. But ....
>
> If I leave the machine up overnight (as has been my habit) with nobody
> logged on and only cron jobs running, when I log on again in the
> morning, `top' tells me that almost all of the memory is in use, and
> when I try to work, I get constant segmentation faults (especially in
> resource-heavy applications like emacs, TeX, X ...) and sometimes a
> kernel-panic. Rebooting `fixes' the problem.
>
> The hardware: Pentium 2 (233 with 512K cache), an Asus P2L97 AGP
> Motherboard, Quantum 4.3GB SCSI Hard Drive.
>
> Are there tools available that would help me diagnose the problem and
> hopefully solve it?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice,

Which netscape are you using?  Netscape 4.7 is much tighter on its
memory leaks than previous versions.  I have also found that X seems to
have a memory leak somewhere.  My solution to this is to restart the
window manager, not logging out of X but just restarting the window
manager. It is amazing but I can reclaim 128M/256M of swap by doing this
sometimes.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.