Re: What is this????

Ron Rademaker wrote:

> I found this file somewhere:
>
> c---r-----   1 8224     10280     49, 117 Dec  1  2031 fonts
>
> Can anybody tell me what that c is all about???
>
> This 'thing' is the reason for some trouble with apt / dpkg (something to
> do with xlib6g-dev) perhaps this c has something to do with that.
>
> Ron
>

>From the

http://www.debian.org/~hp/tutorial/debian-tutorial.html/ch-advanced.html#s-advanced-files

page:
16.2.2 Types of files

One detail we've been concealing up to now is that the Linux kernel
considers nearly everything to
be a file. That includes directories and devices: they're just special
kinds of files.

As you may remember, the first character of an ls -l display represents
the type of the file. For an
ordinary file, this will be simply -. Other possibilities are:

     d (directory)

     l (symbolic link)

     b (block device)

     c (character device)

     p (named pipe)

     s (socket)

hth give you a start in answering your question,
kent