DPT SmartRaid V cards

Hi,
I have been playing with a DPT smartRaid V card for some
days, using the driver from their homepage. (the kernel
drivers don't seem to work for SmartRaid V?)
However, for some reason the Raid V drive doesn't seem
to perform very well. It often just stops during disk writes
without doing anything (no sound from the harddisks)

I have a 1554U2 with 5 IBM SCSI harddisks.

If anyone has used it before... was it an expected problem? I was
using the driver for kernel 2.2.5 patched to 2.2.13.
Or shall I play with 2.2.5 instead?