procps held back.. was Re: poff does not work

People have suggested the installation of procps to bring /bin/kill back
into my system.  Sounds good.  I ran dpkg -l procps to see what its status
was, and found "hi" returned, so it has been installed (2.0.3-3) but was
apparently held back when I upgraded last week.

?? Why was it held back (something inadvertant I did?), and does this imply
I should Not upgrade the package?

As I recall, there were 6-8 packages held back during the upgrade.  I assume
this is a normal occurance, but when does one upgrade those?  Or are these
packages typically ones which "never change" and so aren't touched?

Thanks,

Kenward